[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Translation anxiety

On Wed, 11 May 94 13:33 EST you said:
>I would expect any translation that tried to oblige a wide
>variety of scholarly views (or theological positions) to be bland
>and uninteresting. More interesting I think would be free
>proliferation of translations, many Bibles, each one quirky,
>controversial, and incompatible with others. But that wouldn't do
>much to ease translation anxiety.

I think that the proliferation is now gathering momentum (and yes, they are ALL
quirky in one way or another) and that is the very reason why we find ourselves
in this interminable (but nevertheless interesting and informative) exchange
for lo, these many days.

CARL W. CONRAD, C25001CC@WUVMD.BITNET OR C25001CC@WUVMD.WUSTL.EDU
Classics, Washington University, One Brookings Dr., St. Louis, MO 63130
Phone: (314) 935-4018