[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Disambiguation ...

      "I don't know what you mean by 'glory'", Alice said.
       Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously.  "Of course you don't -- till I
       tell you.  I meant 'there's a nice knock-down argument for you!'"
       "But 'glory' does't mean 'a nice knock-down argument'", Alice objected.
       "When *I* use a word", Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone,
       "it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
       "The question is", said Alice, "whether you *can* make words mean so
       many different things."
       "The question is", said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master --
       that's all."
       Alice was too much puzzled to say anything...

It's all very ambiguous.

Al

Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!/Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!/
spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,/a sword day, a red
day, ere the sun rise!/Ride now, ride now!  Ride to Gondor!