[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

`your accent gives you away'

In Matt 26.73, Peter's accent gives him away as a Galilean.

Do we know anything at all about geographical variations in pronunication
at the time? Does any literature contemporary with the NT make mention of
particular pronunciation differences between regions?

Can we even begin to guess how a Galilean accent differed from a Judean?
(Or an Athenian, or Roman, or whatever...)

James K. Tauber, Undergraduate Student          ``Perplexed but not
Centre for Linguistics, UWA, Australia	             despairing''
E-mail: jtauber@tartarus.uwa.edu.au                    - Paul (2 Cor 4.8)
WWW:    ftp://tartarus.uwa.edu.au/pub/jtauber/main.html