[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Greek pronunciation

Knobloch's posting has added Gignac to the discussion; it was Gignac
which I left off, mentioning only Mayser and Teodorsson and adding
that the third obvious title I wouldn't specify since I hadn't found
it that helpful for pronunciation matters.  Perhaps Knobloch has,
which means it must be helpful for some purposes.  My own experience
has always been that Mayser really dug in, with hard evidence, while
Gignac only occasionally touched on my questions.  But one should
use what one finds helpful.
	I confess I don't know what it would mean to filter out pronun-
ciations which are peculiar to Egypt, since unless we know what the
usage was elsewhere at the same time, we don't know what was
peculiar.  Egypt is our primary source of data on this subject, due to
the peculiarities of climate there, and the relative cheapness of papyrus
compared to prices at places more distant from the place of manufacture.

--Edward Hobbs