[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: authenteo

Dear ... (You never gave your name or your .sig isn't working)

> I am interested in the meaning and use of the word authenteo,
> especially with the genetive. Any information would be
> appreciated. Please note that I am a first time user of this list,
> so my apologies if this seems a trivial questions for those B-Greek
> experts in internetland.

I don't know what info you DO have, so here's something you MAY
already have/know.

Louw and Nida (Greek English Lexicon of the NT based on Semantic
Domains) put it under the domain of control or rule and under the
subdomain of control restrain.

"To control in a domineering manner - to 'control, to
domineer.' 'I do not allow women ... to dominate men' (1Ti2.12) To
control in a domineering manner is often expressed idomatically, for
example, 'to shout orders at', 'to act like a chief toward', 'to bark
at'.

Nothing specifi here about the genetive.
Hope it helps!
Theo

      /^^^\
     { o_o }
      \ o /
: Theo Groeneveld (ditg@matthew.ru.ac.za)                         :
: Private Bag 1028, Rhodes Univ.,Grahamstown, 6140, South Africa  :
:         | Christ died for me - I will live for Him! |     |     :