[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Lexica and "authenteo"

I have no particular ax to grind about the Kroegers' book, since I hold no
religious beliefs, though I'm happy with their friendship.

Regarding word meanings (a topic addressed here often before), scholars of
any stripe need to determine word meanings from close study of the texts
and their contexts,   * not *   from mere "glib" repetition of lexica.

This is particularly true for hapax legomena or for NT hapaxes.  Does
anyone simply fall back on the lexica for Matthew's "epiousios", for
example?  Is that ever considered sufficient scholarship?  The modern
academy was born when it began questioning Aristotle and other authority
documents (of course, Euripides was reviled for just such advice...see the
quotation below).  The Kroegers question the lexica and the translations.
I should think lexicographers and translators would be happy for any
discussion of the cruxes they so often encounter in ancient texts.

This book also addresses a text involving significant dogma.  Any reviewer
is likely to have an opinion on the doctrinal issues brought up by 1 Tim.
2, and all readers of reviews of texts on matters of dogma should take that
very fact into consideration.

And in defense of the Kroegers' effort--whatever their conclusions--I would
take issue with any review that claimed their assertions were done "sans
evidence".  It is one thing to say that they arrived at incorrect
conclusions from their evidence or to say that the evidence presented was
irrelevant...quite another to make statements about the book that are
untrue, for there is a substantial amount of evidence.  I am not prepared
to declare on its validity, but that is not what Baugh was said to have
maintained.  I appreciate his expertise, but there was much more material
than mere Asia Minor epigraphy in their book.

--David N. Wigtil.  Technical Assessment.  U. S. Department of Energy.
Sophronos d' apistias
ouk estin ouden khresimoteron brotois.  (Euripides, "Helen" 1617-1618)
(There's nothing more helpful for mortals than sensible disbelief.)
{ Internet:  david.wigtil@hq.doe.gov        (via cc:Mail) }
{ Personal:  72331.1732@compuserve.com                    }
{ X.400   :  g=david s=wigtil o=hq p=usdoe a=attmail c=us }
{ Bitnet  :  u8806dw@doevm                  (via OV/VM)   }
{            Voice:  301-903-5730.                        }