[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: why GUNH and not GUNAIC?

   -----+-----         only Son...."
        |             "Beloved let us love one another..."
        |
        |             John Drover <drover@morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
        |
        |             "The Kingdom of God is a Party!" -Tony Campolo

On Thu, 9 Jun 1994, James K. Tauber wrote>
> Why is the nom sing GUNH and not GUNAIC (C=ksi) as suggested by the stem
> GUNAIK in other forms?

This is my first response to the list so excuse me if I am
misunderstanding the complexity of your inquiry...

GUNH is nom. sing. for the stem GUNAIC for the same reason ANHR is the
nom. sing. for the stem ANDR-, they are 3rd Decl. nouns and as such are
irregular by nature. There is no inconsistancy. Most Greek nouns are of
this irregular Declension.

                                               -John +