[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Level playing field?

> > Doesn't the power of the Holy Spirit level the playing field?
>
> I doubt there is such a thing as a level playing field! Some people can't even
> read, though they may have the Spirit. No, there is more that is required. Not
> all of us have all the benefits of others. Most of us can read English. Some of
> us can read Greek. Some of us can work with Hebrew [but we'd hesitiate to claim
> to "read" it :) ]. Some can read Hebrew and Aramaic (and maybe a dozen other
> languages).

1 Corinthians 12:7-11 (KJV)
    But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit
withal. [8] For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to
another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;  [9] To another faith by
the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;  [10]
To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another
discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the
interpretation of tongues:  [11] But all these worketh that one and the
selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

    It seems to me that Paul did not believe the Holy Spirit levels the
playing field in this manner, (giving us all equal ability to interpret
other languages.)

    Some of us are given the gift of interpreting other languages, and
some of us are not.  We all benefit from the gift that some of us have
recieved.

					Tom Blake
					Binghamton University