[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Level playing field?

> > Doesn't the power of the Holy Spirit level the playing field?

The metaphor here for interpretation seems to be at the root of the
difficulty.  Why speak of the interpretation of scripture as if it
were a competitive sporting event?  As I see it, those of us privileged
to be in a position to gain tools for more possibilities of understanding
are given those tools to SHARE in a cooperative community process that
should look more like a log-cabin raising (or any other
community-work-day image you choose) than a football game.  Why assume
we're doing battle when we interpret scripture?  Surely history shows us
that the text is rich with meanings that have sustained our forbears and
those with whom we share the faith now, even if we don't always agree.

My apologies if I'm repeating something someone else has said on this
theme.  I'm cleaning up several hundred messages and may have missed it.

Rev. Susan "Elli" Elliott	    ...	me pierdo entre tanto follaje,
Theology Department			y no se si salir o entrar,
Loyola University of Chicago		si caminar o detenerme,
selliot@ORION.IT.LUC.EDU		si comprar gatos o tomates.
 							--Pablo Neruda