[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

jn. 1:1, similar constructions

     James K. Tauber's analysis of John's usage of constructions similar to
that in Jn. 1:1 is helpful.  The following references suggest that when an
arthrous nominative and an anarthrous nominative are joined by the third
person singular of _eimi_, if the noun immediately preceding the verb is
anarthrous (without the article), then the anarthrous nominative functions as
descriptive of the nature of the arthrous noun:
>John 3.29 the [one] having the bride bridegroom is AP N is
>1John 1.5 the God light is    AN N is
>1John 4.8 the God love is     AN N is
>1John 4.16 the God love is     AN N is
I would also add Jn. 1:1c (the example that originally brought up the
question) and Jn. 4:24, _pneuma ho theos_, which, although it does not have
the verb, is generally translated as having _eimi_ understood but absent
through elipsis.  David Wigtil's example from Mk. 2:28, _kurios estin ho
huios tou anthrOpou kai tou sabbatou_, also illustrates this construction.

     The examples J. K. Tauber cited which include a proper noun seem to be a
case apart.  Nigel Turner (Moulton III:183) cites E. C. Colwell to the effect
that proper nouns lack the article in constructions similar to those we are
discussing when those nouns are predicate in function.  Something of this
sort may also be true when proper nouns function as subjects as in the
following examples:
>John 5.15 Jesus is the [one] having made him whole N is AP
>John 20.31 Jesus is the Christ    N is AN
>1John 4.15 Jesus is the Son    N is AN
>1John 5.1 Jesus is the Christ    N is AN

David L. Moore