[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

stauros

	There are two questions to be considered:  one is linguistic, the
other historical.  Etymologically, I believe that previous contributors
are correct in asserting that stauros is so general a term as to be
applicable to almost any simple wooden implement -- a rail, fence post or
gate, for example.  Historically, two things may be said.  1) In the
specific biblical case, we must consider Roman usage.  (Jesus was, after
all, put to death by the Romans.)  The Roman implement for death by
torture was call "crux" in Latin.  This term unambiguously means
something which crosses (in T, X, or traditional "cross" shape).  2)
Further, the Roman writers (including non- and pre- Christians) used
"crux" as a translation of stauros, just as their Greek counterparts used
stauros as a translation of crux, implying a pragmatic equality of
concepts.  In the 1st century, a stauros (when the term is used of the
instrument of execution) was a wooden cross, though not necessarily in
the traditional form.