[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Stauros/Crux

On Tue, 19 Jul 1994, John Richards wrote:

> The pcture uuencoded below is a detail of a bas-relief in the palace of
> Tilgath Pileser III of Assyria (c. 730BC) showing the seige of a city.
> The part shown here portays three figures impaled on stakes, (together
> with archers and a battering ram). It shows graphically the ancient usage
> of "Stauros" as literally a stake for execution. But note the date.

I was not aware that Tiglath Pileser III used a "stauros" at all, nor
indeed that he spoke Greek.  What is the connection between this
depiction and the discussion of the usage of a word over 700 years
later?

Paul J. Bodin                                  Internet: pjb3@columbia.edu
Union Theological Seminary                        smail: 435-52nd Street
+1 718-439-3549                                          Brooklyn, NY 11220