[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Gift of languages

I wrote,
>> "when they had performed all things according to the law of the Lord,
>> they returned into Galilee, to their own city Nazareth", does mean that
>> they didn't go into Egypt for a spell.  Luke merely omits it.  Omission
>> does not imply that it didn't happen.

You responded,
>This seems a very misleading way of reading a text to me.  If I were
>reading an account of the Oregon Trail and someone mentioned that the
>pioneers stopped overnight at the Dalles, and then went on down
>the Columbia River, I would not assume that they took a few weeks or
>months or years out to visit Los Angeles between their stop at the Dalles
>and their continued journey down the river.  I would think that we should
>demand at least this much coherence from the text.

You seem to assume that the motives for writing an account on the
Oregon Trail are the same as the Gospel writers.  The Old Testament
also reads very strangely at times, passing through years and events as if
they never happened.  Thus is the nature of Scripture.  I personally
believe that 1 Cor 1:20 begins to explain God's reasons:  "God made
foolish the wisdom of this world".

KH

Ken Hall                  | Voice: 404 894 5559 | Internet address:
Ga Tech                   | Beeper:404 651 0362 | ken.hall@business.gatech.edu
Financial Data Technology | FAX:   404 894 5520 | I put this here for balance