[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Translations

Reply:  Item #0910756 from b-greek@virginia.edu@inet#on 94/07/18 at 06:57

> Isn't the purpose of the Gospel to know God through Jesus Christ.  The issue
> is not to study doctrine.  The issue is knowing God.        [Ken Hall]

If you mean "study doctrine" just as an academic topic, of course I agree. But
don't be too quick to downplay doctrine, Ken. There is no way to know God apart
from knowing the Word of God. Even IF, for purposes of argument (only), we were
to grant continuing, direct revelation from God that imparted propositional
truth, there would be no way to validate it apart from comparing it with
Scripture to assure that it was in accord with biblical teaching. That requires
"studying doctrine." Without that qualification there is no need of a Bible.

(Sorry this reply is tardy--I've been away from the modem for a time.)

Rod Decker
Asst. Prof. Greek & Theology
Calvary Theological Seminary
Kansas City, Missouri

(Sorry if this is a dup. post; I got an error msg. on the first attempt.)