[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: _stauros_

More on the wounds on hands/feet discussion:

I recall reading an article some time ago on a reenactment of crucifixion
by a professor of anatomy or physiology. Conclusions were as follows: the
hands are not strong enough to support the weight of the body and nails would
have gone through the wrist. Also (as an aside), death is typically from
asphyxiation as the lungs collapse. One of the reasons the legs were often
broken was to prevent the victim using them to push up on the
support to which the feet were nailed, expanding the rib cage and
thereby allowing the lungs to more fully expand; breaking the legs of the
victim thus hastened death.

My  memory may be faulty on this  and I unfortunately cannot supply a
reference - sorry!

Mary Ann Davidson
madavids@us.oracle.com