[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pentecost responses (virgin birth

   The reference to Genesis 3:15 is obviously not a promise made to
Eve, but to the serpent, and has nothing whatever to do with a virgin
birth.  "Seed" here is simply a metaphor for "descendents".  God is
going to see that humans and serpents never again cooperate to do
evil, so he places and enmity between them.  This is simply an explanation
of existing relations between man and snakes.

   When I was a child, I remember coming seeing a snake while I was in
the company of some other children and a woman who was of a very biblical
faith.  She said that we should kill the snake, for that was what the
Bible said.  She was probably referring to this passage.

-- William S. Monroe

William S. Monroe
Head, Collection Development Department
Brown University Library