[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: parthenos

On 2 Aug 1994, STEVE SCHAPER wrote:
>  In college, my professor of Hebrew, Richard Whitaker, who has published part
> of an Eerdman's commentary, as well as working on the computerized Ugaritic
> concordance, etc., said that the reason that betullah was not used was
> because it was the name of a Canaanite goddess, and if Isaiah had used that
> term for virgin, instead of the term for young, unmarried woman (who as a
> holy woman, would indeed be a virgin, as the rabbis who translated the
> Septuagint knew), he would have been stoned to death for appearing to predict
> that YHWH would have a child by a Canaanite goddess.

Since when does ALMH mean "young *unmarried* woman"?  Did I miss something?

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."
--Groucho Marx

Prof. James F. Sennett
Asst. Professor of Philosophy         sennett@goliath.pbac.edu
Palm Beach Atlantic College                    andretg@aol.com
PO Box 24708                             voice: (407) 835-4431
West Palm Beach, FL  33416-4708            fax: (407) 835-4342