[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Request for information

At 10:50 AM 9/15/94 CST, Carl Conrad wrote:
>On Thu, 15 Sep 1994 10:51:25 ADT you said:
>>> _New Testament Greek for Beginners_ by J. G. Machen
>>
>>I cannot imagine why anyone would want to use this text.
[much deleted, although agreed mwith.  Machen is a great book to learn
Sanskrit from, not to good for Greek.

>>> PS  I'm also looking into obtaining a Greek New Testament.  I am currently
>>>     leaning towards the _UBS4_ and _Nestle-Aland 26th_.  Any comments on
>>>     these, or others, would also be appreciated.
>>
>>You might as well go with the standard text, either of the texts you
>>not would be good.  However, if you can get a copy of UBS2, that is
>>preferred by many scholars.
>
>It should be said that UBS4 and NA26 are the identical text with very different
>type-face and apparatus. The UBS text is certainly much easier on the eyes!
>
>What really brought me to reply to the message, however, was my puzzlement
>over WHY scholars are said to prefer UBS2 over UBS3 or 4? Please do explain
>that, if you will, and is this a judgment that others concur with?

I seem to recall that UBS 3 relies more heavily on Sinaticus than previous
editions, and I for one stopped using my UBS 3 because the text chooses
readings in Sinaticus over other texts of similar antiquity for no apparent
reason other than the reading in Sinaticus.  I use the _Majority Text_ these
days - the apparatus is much easier to follow that either UBS or NA, and I
can make my own mind up about the reading.
Daniel J. McDonald                 home: mcdonald@teleport.com
Telecom Designer                   work: 2397@idchq.attmail.com
Industrial Design Corporation      pots: 1.503.653.6919
Disclaimer:  my views are my own and no one else's