[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Boswell (was Re: Lexicons)

Boswell's thesis on arsenokoites has been widely criticized for many of
its details, but his conclusion has generally been accepted.  There is no
reason to retain the understanding of arsenokoitai as referring to male
homosexuals in general.  First of all, there is a significant doubt that
Paul would have known of a term for "homosexual," in our contemporary
usage.  No other ancient language had such a term, and the earliest Greek
writers used a wide variety of periphrastic constructions to render a
similar conception.  It might be argued that Paul was only concerned with
a particular sexual behavior, say anal intercourse between males,
frequent among male homosexuals of the time.  There is no evidence that
Paul condemned anal intercourse between men and women or between men, or
that he saw physical affection between males as something to be avoided.

I think it would be completely unnecessary to demonstrate how Paul
rejected much of the arbitary legislation of the Pentateuch; that is
sufficiently well known.  I have, though, demonstrated that even the
Leviticus 18:22, 20:13 passages do not reflect the general condemnation
of homosexual behavior as usually assumed.  Although the word
arsenokoites contains stems mentioned in Lev. 18:22 and 20:13, it is
very unlikely that Paul coined any new words: the context of his letters
implies his term would be easily understood.  The term appears only in
contexts dealing with greed, prostitution, adultery, idolatry, and lack
of self control.  Although it is a rare term, its use is probably best
connected with those male prostitutes who are clearly condemned in
the Old Testament, and who would fit in with those temptations which drew
Paul's audience toward idolatry and greed, whether they were tempted to
become such prostitutes or take advantage of their services.

It is abundantly clear from the evidence of later Christian usage that
the term arsenokoites changed meaning from its original use by Paul: it
eventually came to refer to anything from child molesting to anal
intercourse with one's wife.  This semantic drift probably occurred
because Paul's warnings were so successful that the phenomenon he
addressed actually disappeared from prominence in Christian-controlled
areas of late antiquity/early medieval times.  After the fall of
paganism, temple prostitutes would have become a thing of the past, and
male prostitutes, always probably fewer in number than female
prostitutes, probably dwindled to extreme rarity.  Later Christians, not
readily seeing the meaning of arsenokoitai, would then have inserted a
meaning they wished to see there, a practice not exactly unheard of in
Christian circles.

Reading arsenokoitai "homosexuals" is an example of eisegesis.
Homophobes who want to find condemnations of homosexuals in the Bible
are capable of reading their prejudice into any given passage, just as
their predecessors were capable of finding abundant encouragement for
anti-Semitism and racism in the Bible.  Do we now read the "mark of Cain"
as black skin, as many American preachers in the past did?  Do we now read
"May his blood be upon us and our children forever" in the Gospel of John
as our marching orders to massacre Jews, as medieval European Christians
did?  In the end, as some have already indicated, the responsibility for
correct exegesis is not merely a scholarly one - it is an ethical one,
too.  I hope everyone who cares about this issue puts as much prayer and
thinking into this as they do page turning.  At Judgment Day I don't think
we will be held accountable for not harrassing those we thought were
sinners; we will be held accountable for acting fairly and responsibly
towards those who depended our actions.

Greg Jordan
jordan@chuma.cas.usf.edu