[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Boswell

Hi -

At the risk of cutting off scholarly discussion, might I offer one word:
dayenu! Enough, already. I feel that both sides have analyzed, exegesised,
interpreted, and cited enough sources and lexicons to stock the New York City
Public library.

I find it very difficult to believe that there is really anything new under
the sun linguistically speaking; if Leviticus 18:22 really only referred to
male prostitution, then why hasn't one of the commentators of the past come up
with this interpretation (especially as this type of behaviour was certainly
not unknown in the Hellenistic period)? Seems to me that most of the Jewish
commentators in particular loved to interpret, argue, and expound on what the
scripture meant - not unlike the discussions that have ensued on b-greek on
this topic.
Has one single reputable commentator (i.e. non-Boswell, whose motives are
suspect and scholarship appears sloppy) ever come up with this interpretation
before? If not, then perhaps it is because A is A; Leviticus 18:22 is exactly
what it appears to be.

PLease, let's move on to another topic - like reinterpreting the 10
commandments as '10 helpful suggestions for self-empowerment.'

Mary Ann Davidson
madavids@us.oracle.com