[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Another question on Luke 23:34

On Thu, 22 Sep 1994 11:30:57 EST you said:
>Somewhere I once came across another angle on "aphes autois" in this verse:
> thataphes means "permit" and that the prayer is intended to avert immediate
> judgmenton the ignorant soldiers, not to secure their forgiveness.  "Permit"
>is
> no
>doubt within the semantic range of aphiEmi and there is perhaps a problem with
>ignorance as a basis of forgiveness, though not as a basis of averting
>immediate judgment.  Any comments?

Perhaps in favor of this view is that this text is close enough to the
modern Greek common construction, "AS +acc. + subj." = "Let (me,him, etc.)
do such and such"

CARL W. CONRAD, C25001CC@WUVMD.BITNET OR C25001CC@WUVMD.WUSTL.EDU
Classics, Washington University, One Brookings Dr., St. Louis, MO 63130
Phone: (314) 935-4018