[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Origenic Greek

This isn't exactly *biblical* Greek, but I'm stuck, and don't know where else
to ask.  Anyone who can help, or who knows of a sharp patristics scholar or
a group where this could be forwarded for help, please let me know.

The following is from book 15 of Origen's Commentary on Matthew (GCS):

[transl. uses the obvious equivalents, plus the following: h=eta, q=theta,
c=xi, x=chi, y=psi, w=omega, |=iota subscript, (=rough breathing.]

kai e(autous u(pobeblhkasin oneidismw|, taxa de kai aisxunh| ou para
monois tois allotriois ths pistews, alla kai para tois pasi mallon tois
anqrwpinois pragmasi sugginwskousin h tw| [fantasia| fobou qeou kai
swfrosunhs ametrw| erwti] gennhsanti ponous kai swmatos akrwthrismon
kai ei ti e(teron paqoi an o thlikoutw| e(auton parasxwn pragmati.

He's been talking about how some people take literally Jesus' commendation
of those who make themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom (Matt
19:12) and thus castrate themselves.  Here is my (unsatisfactory) attempt:

"and subject themselves to reviling, and perhaps even dishonor, not only
with those outside the faith, but also with all those who concur more with
all human practices than with  the one who (by reason of an imagined fear of
God and an intemperate love of sobriety) begets troubles and bodily
amputation and whatever else the one who gives himself over to such deeds
may suffer."

However, I'm unsatisfied by several things: the "not only with those outside
the faith" would seem to contrast with those who are in the faith, but what
follows does not seem to fit;  2)  what two things does the *mallon...h*
compare?  Or is the *h* even connected to the *mallon*?  As it stands, it
makes little sense to me;  3) the material in brackets almost makes sense, but
how can one have an intemperate love of sobriety?  4)  I am not quite sure
about the last phrase, the *ei ti paqoi an*.

Can someone give me the "key" to unlock the spiritual meaning hidden in
Origen's words?

By the way, the Latin doesn't help much:  et obiecerunt se opprobriis et
confusionibus non solum apud alienos fidei, sed etiam apud eos qui
ignorantiae <omni> hominum ignoscere solent.

Thanks

**  Dan G. McCartney                   |        I'net: DMCCARTNEY@HSLC.ORG  **
**  Assoc. Prof. of NT                 |          WTS: 215 887 5511         **
**  Westminster Theol Seminary         |       Office: 215 572 3818         **
**  Box 27009, Chestnut Hill           |          Fax: 215 887 5404         **
**  Philadelphia, PA  19090            |         Home: 215 659 7854         **