[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magi & Matthew 2

On Sat, 1 Oct 1994 dkennedy@cornerstone.edu wrote:

> I have three problems with this common understanding.  (1) I am not aware of
> any ancient Jewish source that looks for a Messianic birth in Bethlehem.
> Iindeed, a/the "messiah" is generally one who appears to set things right, not
> one whose birth is emphasized at all.

I wouldn't be too sure about that.  I would recommend browsing through
one of my favorite books, _The Messiah Texts_ by Rafael Patai, a
source-book of Jewish lore on the Messiah, from antiquity to modern
times.  There were some pretty exaggerated stories about the Messiah's
birth circulating at some point in Jewish history - although dating these
is always a tricky problem.

Greg Jordan
jordan@chuma.cas.usf.edu