[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Synonomy in John 21

	Sorry for getting in late on this discussion -- I hope I'm not repeat-
comments already made.  However, if I might add my two bits:
	While John 1-20 may use agapaO and phileO interchangably, it doesn't
appear to be the case with the redactor of John 21. Approaching the issue from
a literary standpoint, it seems to me that the redactor has picked up the
themes of chap. 10 and 15.  Specifically, the ideas of Jesus as the Good Shep-
herd laying down his life for his sheep, and the definition of great agapE as
laying down one's life for a friend.  The Johannine redactor, using these
themes, appears to me to have Jesus asking Peter 'how' he loves him, with
Peter responding that he loves him "like a friend" (phileO).  The sheep feeding
response of Jesus seems to be a confirmation: "Okay, then, lay your life down
for my sheep."  In the third exchange, Jesus is then asking, "do you really
love me 'like a friend?'  Hence, Peter's exasperation: "You know it, doggone
it!"  In Jesus' three responses, he appears to me to be charging Peter to be
the Good Shepherd in Jesus' place.  Jesus' subsequent statements would seem to
me to confirm that becoming the Good Shepherd means laying down one's life,
perhaps alluding to a report or legend about Peter's death by crucifixion.
	Whether or not the author of John 1-20 meant for this fine-tuned
	Whether or not the author of John 1-20 had this fine-tuned understand-
ing of agapaO and phileO in mind seems to me to be irrelevant.  The Johannine
redactor did make the distinction, using particular themes in 1-20 to construct
the dialogue in 21:15-17.
	Of course, my argument assumes a general consensus regarding the end of
John 20 being the end of the original Gospel of John, even if redactional
elements are found in John 1-20 as well.  Is there anyone out there who still
argues for John 1-21 as originally whole cloth?

Steve Johnson
CGS