[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

EDOTHE in Mt 28.19

My apologies to David for sending this originally to him rather than to B-
GREEK.  I guess that the REPLY method does not work for B-GREEK mailings!
While not on ONOMA, another question on Mt 28.19 (please forgive me if this
question has been raised here before):

While it is true that EDOTHE (aorist) may be translated into English from time
to time as a present perfect, how is one able to know when it should be so
translated and when it should be "left" as an aorist in English?  EDOTHE in
28.19 is often translated: (all power in heaven and on earth) has been given
(to me), i.e., as a present perfect, and the meaning seems to be clear that the
power is given to the risen Jesus (by God?) as a result of his resurrection.
But, the text COULD be translated: (all power in heaven and on earth) was given
(to me), i.e., as a past punctiliar, leaving it open-ended: the power was given
to him at his resurrection, referred to as a past event, or at some time prior
to his resurrection.  What are the criteria that would help one to determine
when an aorist ought not to be translated into English as an aorist?

I would be interested in any thoughts on this.  If there is a well-known re-
sponse and I am simply not aware of it, feel free to post to me personally --
though be gentle: I bruise easily! :-)

Greetings,
L. Gregory Bloomquist

Faculty of Theology   | Faculte de theologie
Saint Paul University | Universite Saint-Paul
(University of Ottawa | Universite d'Ottawa)
223 Main, Ottawa, Ontario K1S 1C4  CANADA

Internet: GBLOOMQ@ACADVM1.UOTTAWA.CA     iNET: DR.BLOOMQUIST
Fax: (613) 236-4108    Voice: (613) 782-3027 / (613) 236-1393