[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Q and Papias

In a message dated 10-23-94  DDDJ wrote to Steve Schaper:
 D> Papias IMHO does talk about Q. He says that Matthew wrote a gospel in
 D> Aramaic and that Luke translated it into Greek. I think that this was
 D> Q. Later someone besides Matthew wrote the gospel that bears his name.

Evidence for this? I suggest that Matthew is Matthew.

D> It is obvious that there is a literary relationship between Matt and
 D> Luke. Whether this is Q or whether this is an abridgement of one
 D> gospel writer by another will never be proven.

It has been conclusively (or so it seems to me) shown that there is no
literary relationship between the synoptics. Yes, they record the same events,
often, but the actual texts show, when analyzed, that they are not
_literarily_ dependant. That does not preclude, of course, witnessing the same
events and then writing them down, or taking notes or memorizing as the
disciples of rabbis often did.

 -> Alice4Mac 2.4.4 E QWK Eval:11Sep94
--- Silver Xpress Mail System 5.03R1