[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Q and Papias

On Thu, 27 Oct 1994 Michael_Thompson@housing.ucsd.edu wrote:

>      I agree and go a step further.  I may be naive, but I feel that
>      assumption of a Matthean priority in the writing of the gospels goes a
>      long way to plugging a lot of the Q holes (as it were).  I believe
>      that is Farmer's position isn't it?
>
>      Mike Thompson

But Farmer-Griesbach has its own problems, as many on this list have
pointed out and will continue to do so.  And as I stated before, positing
a Quelle (n) which the Synoptics drew on stands alone.  There is a
difference between recognizing this source material and the 2 Source
Hypothesis.  Thus, arguing for Matthean priority means rejection of the 2
Source, but not necessarily rejection of Q (s).