[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

memo

I have what must seem like a very mundane question, but one that I would like ananswer to nonetheless.  It concerns middle voice and/or deponent verbs.  How
do you parse these, specifically what voice do you give them?  For example,
apokrinomai, "I answer," is of course passive in form, but active in meaning.
Would you instruct a student to parse it as first person, singular, present,
deponent, indicative?  Or would you recommend 1st pers., sing., pres., MIDDLE,
indicative.  I have seen both done, and I am not sure what is normal procedure.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Andy Smith
Associate Professor of Bible and Religion
Chair: Division of Bible, Religion, and Ministries
Cornerstone College
Grand Rapids, Michigan
asmith@cornerstone.edu