[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Matthew 5:39

Hi -

If you can tear yourselves away from Q for a minute...I do not have a Greek NT
with me at present and a question has arisen on Matthew 5:39:

	But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you
on the right cheek, 	turn to him the left also. (NIV)

I have always had a problem with this verse. One pastor I know interpreted it
as 'if someone strikes you, turn your head that he may not hit you again.'
This does not seem to be supported by the remaining verses.

My question is:

	Does the original Greek really say 'turn to him the left also,' or
could it be 	interpreted as turning away?

	Should this entire passage be interpreted as allowing yourself to
become a repeated 	victim, or merely to refrain from taking revenge for
personal wrongs?

	On a related topic, I have heard it said that lex talionis (eye for
eye, tooth for 	tooth) actually represented an advance in justice,
since it meant 'no more thn eye for 	eye, no more than tooth for tooth,'
rather than exacting retribution above and beyond 	the initial injury.
Comments?

Thanks -

Mary Ann

madavids@us.oracle.com