[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Matt 5:39

Mary Ann:

The text in question reads: "ego de lego humin me antistenai to ponero; all
hostis se raptizei eis ten dexian siagona sou, strepson auto kai ten
allen."  The last phrase is the one you asked about, and I think that one
rendering is "turn to him also the other (cheek)."  The NRSV and my copy of
the NIV translate this section similarly, "But I say to you, Do not resist
an evil person (NRSV--evildoer).  But if someone strikes you on the right
cheek, turn to him the other also (NRSV--turn the other also)."  Does that
help?

Regards,

Leo Percer
PERCERL@BAYLOR.EDU