[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Matt 5:39, Romans 12:20

On Wed, 2 Nov 1994, Dan G. McCartney, Westminster Semin wrote:

> Regarding the metaphoricality of the "turn the other cheek" why the hubbub.
> Of course its "metaphorical" if we simply mean that it is illustrative
> of a larger principle.  But if someone claims that "Do not react to
> aggression directed against you with counter-aggression" doesn't really
> mean "Do not react to aggression directed against you with
> counter-aggression" then we've left the realm of metaphor and moved to
> allegory and Free-for-all interpretation.

	I agree.  That was my question about the use of the term
metaphorical.

	I wonder if Paul was drawing on, if not this saying of Jesus, at
least this idea in Romans 12:20.  This passage would seem to support an
active response so we are not talking about passive encouragement of
agression.

					Travis Bauer