[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: Phil 2.13

Relative clauses (such as the one containing the participle predicate
substantive in Phil 2.13) are so called because they *relate* the clause
itself to the word(s) that they modify. Hence, in order to make sense in
English, as I believe would also be necessary in Greek semantics, the
latter should preceed the former. Colwell (JBL, 52, 1933) on pages 16 and
17, discusses predicates in relative clauses. He showed, albeit not by an
impressive statistic, that indeed 24 of 26 definite predicates used in
relative clauses follow the verb. As I mentioned in my previous post on
this thread, and subsequently made by others, how can we question which
word group it is that is being modified? The subject must be theos.

Regards,

Chuck Arnold
Upper Marlboro, MD