Date: Sun, 13 Nov 1994 16:20:22 -0500 (EST)
From: Viola Giulia Miglio <viola@wam.umd.edu>
Subject: sum:tenses and discourse analysis

Greetings to the LIST,
        I wish to thank everyone that answered my query on tenses and
discourse analysis.  I hope I have remembered to mention all of them in
the following list - I seem to have had problems with my e-mail
directories recently, and there's a possibility I may have lost some
messages.
        Needless to say I will continue to welcome replies to the
original query and anyone wishing to have further information on
bibliography than what is appended below, should feel free to contact me
at the following e-mail address: viola@wam.umd.edu.
Best Regards

Viola Miglio

Thanks to:

Celso Alvarez Caccamo
Ellen L. Contini-Morava
Jeff Deby
Suzanne Fleischman
Hilde Hasselgerd
Jairo Morais Nunes
Toshio Ohori
William J. Rapaport
Larry Rosenwald
Milea Angela Simoes Froes
Wilbert Spooren
Graham Thurgood
Juan Uriagereka
Brian Wallace
Margaret E. Winter

     Almeida, Michael J. 1987. "Reasoning about the temporal structure of
narratives". Technical Report 87-10. Buffalo: SUNY. Buffalo. Department
of Computer Science.
     Brown, Cheryl. 1983.  Topic continuity in Written English
narrative.  In Givon (1983).   Pp.  315-341.
     Chierchia, Gennaro. 1992. Anaphora and dynamic binding. Linguistics
and Philosophy 15.111-183.
     Comrie, Bernard. 1985. Tense. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
     Felson Duchan, Judith, Gail A. Bruder and Lynne Hewitt (eds.).
(forthcoming). Deixis in Narrative: a Cognitive Science Perspective.
Hillsdale, N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
     Fleischman, Suzanne. 1990. Tense and Narrativity. Austin: University
of Texas Press & London: Routledge.
     Givon, Talmy. (ed.). 1979. Syntax and Semantics 12: Discourse and
Syntax. New York: Academic Press.
     Givon, Talmy. 1993. English Grammar: a Function-Based Introduction.
Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
     Grimes, Joseph E.  1975.  The Thread of Discourse.  Janua
Linguarum Minor.  Mouton.
     Gvozdanovic, Jadranka and Theo Janssen (eds.). 1991. The Function of
Tense in Texts. North Holland.
     Heim. Irene . 1982. The Semantics of Definite and Indefinite Noun
Phrases. Doctoral dissertation, University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
     Hetzron, Robert.  1971.  Presentative function and presentative
movement.  Proceedings of the Second Conference on African
Linguistics, Studies in African Linguistics, Supplement 2:79-105.
     Hopper, Paul J.  1979.  "Aspect and foregrounding in discourse."
In Syntax and Semantics:  Volume 12 - Discourse and Syntax,  edited by
Talmy Givon.  New York:  Academic Press.  Pp.  213-241.
    Hopper, P. J. (ed). 1982. Tense-Aspect: Between Semantics and
Pragmatics. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
    Hornstein, Norbert. 1990. As Time Goes By. Cambridge, Massachusetts:
MIT Press.
    Jespersen, Otto. 1931. A Modern English Grammar on Historica
Principles. Vol. IV. Copenhagen: Munksgaard.
    Johnstone, Barbara. 1987. "'He says...so I said': verb tense
alternation and narrative depiction of authority in American English".
Linguistics 25, 33-52.
     Kumpf, L.  1984.  Temporal systems and universality in
interlanguage: a case study.   In F. R. Eckman, L. H. Bell, and D.
Nelson (eds.),  Universals of Second Language Acquisition.   Rowley,
Massachusetts:  Newbury House.  Pp. 132-143.
    Longacre, Robert E.  1983.  The Grammar of Discourse.   New York:
Plenum Press.
     Nunes, Jairo. 1993. The Discourse Representation of Tense Sequencing
in Narratives. College Park, MD: University of Maryland MS.
     Nunes, Jairo and Ellen Thompson. 1994. The Discourse Representation
of Temporal Dependencies. To appear in P. Bertinetto, V. Bianchi and M.
Squartini (eds.). Proceedings of the Cortona Tense-Aspect Meeting.
     Nunes, Jairo and Ellen Thompson. 1993. "Intensional verbs, tense
structure and pronominal reference", in S. Hargus, G.R. McMenamin and V.
Samiian, Proceedings of the 23rd Western Conference on Linguistics: WECOL
'93. pp. 348-360.
     Pinto, Julio C. M. 1988. The Reading of Time: a Semantico-Semiotic
Approach. Berlin; New York: Mouton de Gruyter.
     Riddle, Elizabeth.  1986.  The meaning and discourse function of
the past tense in English.   TESOL Quarterly  20.2:267-286.
     Schiffrin, Deborah. 1981. "Tense variation in narrative". Language,
vol. 57 n.1. pp. 462ff.
     Thurgood, Graham. 1989. The past perfect, narrative structure and
Louis l'Amour. University of Hawai'i: Working Papers in ESL 8.2:27-43.
     Thurgood, Graham. 1990. English tense and aspect in narratives:
perfectivity, imperfectivity, and the two time axes. Proceedings of the
Western Conference on Linguistics: WECOL '90Vol. 3. pp. 290-302.
     Trout, K.  1974.  Venus on the Half Shell.  New York:  Dell.  Pp.
7-47.
     Wallace, Stephen. 1982. "Figure and ground" in Hopper (ed), pp. 201-223.
     Wolfson, N.  1979.  The conversational present alternation.
Language  55:168-182.
     Wolfson, N.  1982.  On tense alternation and the need for
analysis of native speaker usage in second language acquisition.
Language Learning  32:53-68.