[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

see item #4...

Forwarded message:
>From owner-linguist@TAMVM1.TAMU.EDU Mon Nov 21 11:54:23 1994
Date:         Mon, 21 Nov 1994 11:45:19 -0600
Sender: The LINGUIST Discussion List <LINGUIST@tamvm1.tamu.edu>
From: The Linguist List <linguist@tamsun.tamu.edu>
Subject:      5.1336 Qs: Center-embedding, Punctuation, Versification, Greek
To: Multiple recipients of list LINGUIST <LINGUIST@tamvm1.tamu.edu>

LINGUIST List:  Vol-5-1336. Mon 21 Nov 1994. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 212

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Texas A&M U. <aristar@tam2000.tamu.edu>
            Helen Dry: Eastern Michigan U. <hdry@emunix.emich.edu>

Asst. Editors: Ron Reck <rreck@emunix.emich.edu>
               Ann Dizdar <dizdar@tamsun.tamu.edu>
               Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin@emunix.emich.edu>
               Liz Bodenmiller <eboden@emunix.emich.edu>

                           REMINDER

1)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 94 10:30:27 EST
From: "Rick Lewis" (rick@clarity.Princeton.EDU)
Subject: center-embedding in Mandarin

2)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 14:48:08 CET+1
From: MICHELOUD FRANCOIS-XAVIER (93406882@pcbf1servcei.unil.ch)
Subject: ponctuation signs with expressive contents

3)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 94 09:11:28 EST
From: amr@ares.cs.wayne.edu
Subject: Q: Deep/Abstract Phonology and Versification

4)
Date: 21 Nov 94 09:16:39 EST
From: Barbara Beard (73131.3101@compuserve.com)
Subject: Ancient Greek Relative Clauses

1)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 94 10:30:27 EST
From: "Rick Lewis" (rick@clarity.Princeton.EDU)

I'm working on a theory to account for contrasts between difficult and
acceptable embeddings cross-linguistically (I've compiled a list of about 50
relevant constructions so far), and the following sentences (a) and (b) have
been offered to me as possible examples of unacceptably difficult center
embeddings in Mandarin:

(a) Jeyge sh shuay si chi mi de laushu de mau
    This is squish die eat rice of mouse of cat
    (This is the cat that squished the mouse that ate the rice.)

(b) Jeyge sh chi chi mi   de laushu de mau
    This  is eat eat rice of    rat   of cat
    (This the cat that ate the rat that ate the rice).

(c) Jeyge  sh  chi  mi  de laushu
    This   is  eat  rice of  rat
    (This is the rat that ate the rice)

While (c) is perfectly acceptable.  However, it might be the case that there
is an additional complicating factor in (b): the "chi chi" might be locally
ambiguous between two separate verbs and a contraction of "chi-i-chi", which
means something like "have a bite to eat".

So I have three specific questions (particulary for those native Mandarin
speakers on LINGUIST) and one general request:

1. Can "chi chi" in fact be momentarily interpreted as a contraction?

2. Are such local ambiguities generally unproblematic, or can they give rise
   to garden path effects?

3. Does the comprehension difficulty remain with a sentence such as (a)
   which I believe has the same structure as (b), but eliminates the
   (possible) local ambiguity?

4. General request: Please send me your favorite examples of difficult
   embeddings, or complex but acceptable embeddings.

Please respond to me directly, then I'll try to post some reasonable summary.
Thanks,
Rick Lewis

Richard L. Lewis
Princeton University               Internet:  rick@clarity.princeton.edu
Cognitive Science Laboratory       Phone:     +1 609 258 2821
221 Nassau Street                  Fax:       +1 609 258 2682
Princeton, NJ 08544, USA

2)