[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Logos

>Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 16:32:20 -0600 (CST)
>From: Carl W Conrad <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
>Subject: Re: Logos
>
>Any good commentary on this passage will advise, I think, that LOGOS is
>richer than any single word used to translate it can convey.  [...]

As one measure of the complexity involved, the "Little Kittle" here in my
office spends nine pages on LOGOS (and related words -- I don't have the
full TDNT at hand, which of course spends proportionally more pages).
Likewise, I seem to remember being impressed by how much space Liddel and
Scott devoted to the topic.

As Dr Conrad says, "any single word" in translation is bound to give only
palest hint of the range of possible meanings.