[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

"Pregnant" consturction

jordan@chuma.cas.usf.edu (Greg Jordan) wrote:

>Although there is no verb of "speaking" as David Moore pointed out, there
>is the _logos_ for talk.  I do worry about the paucity of examples, but
>then I don't have an efficient reference source.

>Citations for pros + accusative to mean "with [person in a place with
>someone else]" that I could find also seemed to be off base: Matt. 3:10,
>Mar. 5:22, 6:45, 11:4, Luke 24:29.  None of these fit the bill: are these
>the best examples of pros + accusative = "with" in the NT?  Or is the
>usual translation "with" based on extra-Biblical usage?

>The accusative is unsettling in the entire chapter: does the word come
>back to God?  _ On Eis ton kolpon_ (v. 18) - my abridged L&S says: "in
>pregnant usage, joined with verbs which express rest, when a previous
>motion is implied, as, ... pareinai eis topon, to go to and be at a
>place."  So again, it would be the son coming to the father, in an
>introduction in which one would expect the son to be coming from the
>father, not going back to him.

     The instances of PROS+accusative= "with" including the implication of
personal relationship which I cited in an earlier post come from the Moulton
& Geden concordance.  They qualify the usage of Jn. 1:1 as a "pregnant"
construction.  All the of the referred examples were also "pregnant" usages.
 This term has come up here again in Greg's post.  I have been unable to find
a satisfactory definition of the word - either in dictionaries or grammars -
.  If anyone could clarify this for me, I would appreciate it.

David Moore