[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: rendering greek letters and accents

On Thu, 1 Dec 1994, Kaare Sigvald Fuglseth wrote:

> Theodore Brunner at the TLG has informed us about the TLG - gopher, the
> exact TLG code can be found there. This code is not always too intuitive,
> so I would suggest a moderated TLG code:
>
> The letters:
> A is alpha, B is beta, G is gamma, D is delta, E is epsilon, Z is zeta, H i
> eta, Q is theta, I is iota, K is kappa, L is lambda, M is mu, N is nu, C is
> xi, O is omicron, P is pi, R is rho, S is sigma (also final), T is tau, U
> is upsilon, F is phi, X is chi, Y is psi and W is omega. The * at the
> beginning of a word marks a capital letter.
>
> The diacritics:
>  / is acute accent, \ is the grave accent, @ is the circumflex, (  is rough
> breathing, ) is smooth breathing,  ^ is iota subscripta, and + is
> diairesis.
> They all come AFTER the vowel. The breathings come first, then the accents
> and then iota sub and diairesis.
>
> The punctuation marks etc.:
> ' is apostrophe, is comma, . is period, : is colon, " is quotation, and ;
> is question.

This system looks quite good to me except for the choices for xi and chi.
Most Greek fonts that I am familiar with assign exactly the reverse set
of keys for these two: C = chi, X = xi. This assignment seems much
intuitive to me since the sound of English X is much closer to xi than
chi and since 'ch' is a common replacement in English derivatives of Greek
words with chi (archaic <- _)ARCHAI+KO/S_).

Why not adopt Kaare's suggestion with this minor change, at least for the
letters? We could then have a system which is very easy to understand,
leaving the diacritics as optional, to be used when necessary to avoid
confusion.

Of course I wouldn't want to infringe on anyone's sense of freedom, but
if enough of us adopt this system maybe others will follow.

Micheal Palmer
Mellon Research Fellow
Department of Linguistics