[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cephas

Larry W. Hurtado wrote:
> (4) Is it significant that the only refs. to a Kephas are in Paul, and
> only in passages where he is at pains to assert his rights and status vis
> a vis Jerusalem authorities?  (I wonder, in other words, if "Kephas" is
> not to be seen as mainly a rhetorical device of Paul to show that he's on
> a "first-name basis" with "Peter" and can name drop with the best of them.)

Or, could "Cephas" be seen as a rhetorical device on Paul's part
to hint that Peter has his sympathies more with the Jewish Christians
that with the Gentiles?

Stephen Carlsoin
--
Stephen Carlson     :  Poetry speaks of aspirations,  : ICL, Inc.
scc@reston.icl.com  :  and songs chant the words.     : 11490 Commerce Park Dr.