        To: BGREEk <B-GREEK@virginia.edu>
        Re: b-greek-digest V1 #532
        Re: "Trumped up"?
        Re: b-greek-digest V1 #532
        To: nt-greek@virginia.edu
        Re: "Trumped up"?
        Re: "trumped up"?
        Re: "Trumped up"?
        "Trumped Up"?
        naturalistic reading of Mt 24:3, Mk 13:4
        Re: Trumped up?

From: Greg Doudna <gdoudna@ednet1.osl.or.gov>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 1995 02:36:31 -0800
Subject: "Trumped up"?

To David Moore,
While I might quibble with a connotation here or a word there, I
think your description of presuppositional differences is on the
whole very accurate.  I appreciate your sincerity and clarity.
But let me ask you: I'm not looking for meaning in these texts
for today.  I am just trying to be a good historian and discover
answers to certain questions (e.g. "what happened--and why?").
Why shouldn't I cross-examine writings in the New Testament like
you would with Josephus or the Dead Sea Scrolls or material from
an archaeological site?  Your objections would be more convincing
to me if you were to regard all sacred texts as above cross-
examination.  But I suspect you apply similar kinds of
questioning toward the writings of other faiths that you object
to my showing toward the writings of yours.  As an historian,
I'm supposed to practice this double standard?

Another way I sometimes think of this: Christian origins is done
by New Testament scholars.  Other fields assume the NT field
knows what its talking about and accept its conclusions.  But
probably 85% of the NT field is de facto committed in advance to
certain outcomes--I mean primarily confessional commitments and
requirements for continued employment or promotion.  (And this
is mainstream, not evangelical where the percentage probably
rises to something approaching 100%.)  But this is like having
a corporation's books audited by investors in the corporation.
Am I the only one who sees a systems problem here?  I wonder if
better quality analysis of phenomenae in the gospels might come
from anthropologists than from the NT field.

In fact, now that you ask :-), I have one such recommendation.
Marvin Harris has an interesting discussion of pre-70 Judean
messiahs, with specific discussion of John the Baptist and Jesus,
in his popular anthropology book, _Cows, Pigs, Wars, and Witches_
(1974).  In this light, members of this list might also find
interesting an article in the current (Jan 1995) issue of
_Harpers_ about the John Frum (Prum) cargo cult in Vanaatu, in
the South Pacific.

Greg Doudna
Department of Religious Studies and Philosophy
Marylhurst College
West Linn, Oregon

- --