[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

b-greek-digest V1 #535

b-greek-digest            Thursday, 5 January 1995      Volume 01 : Number 535

In this issue:

        Re: Virgin or Young Woman
        Re: Virgin or Young Woman
        Re: "trumped up"?
        Re: Virgin or Young Woman
        Danker's _Multipurpose Tools_
        Re: Is it Old? My feedback.
        Re: "trumped up"?
        Re: Virgin or Young Woman
        Re: Virgin or Young Woman
        Re: Danker's _Multipurpose Tools_
        Re: Danker's _Multipurpose Tools_ (fwd)
        Re: Virgin or Young Woman
        Off topic:  US grad school language exams
        CFD: B-FLAMES
        Re: CFD: B-FLAMES
        Re: A sign...and a seed
        Re: b-greek-digest V1 #534
        Which law(s)?
        testing
        Re: Which law(s)?

From: Leroy Huizenga 1996 <huizenga@acc.jc.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 1995 03:29:02 -36000
Subject: Re: Virgin or Young Woman

On Wed, 4 Jan 1995, Michael I Bushnell wrote:

>    From: STEVE SCHAPER <STEVE.SCHAPER@1-100-435-0.cheswicks.toadnet.org>
>    Date: 02 Jan 95 23:13:00 +0000
>
>    What I meant by it was holding to the ecumenical creeds. I prefer
>    this term to the perjorative 'fundamentalist' which is inaccurate
>    and confusing anyway since there are the separatists, the
>    evangelicals, the Reformed and Lutherans, and charismatic groups
>    who hold in essence to these creeds. These are thereby
>    distinguished from the Deist and Arian groups commonly known as the
>    'main- line' denominations. See Machen's _Christianity and
>    Liberalism_. The orthodox Protestants thus have considerably more
>    in common with the Roman Catholics and the Eastern Orthodox than
>    they do the 'main-line' variants of their own traditions.
>
> I'd appreciate it if you didn't "explain" your terms by accusing vast
> number of people of rank dishonesty.  The Presbyterian Church (USA),
> the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, the Episcopal Church in
> the USA, the United Methodist Church--these *all* subscribe to the
> ecumenical creeds.  And you are accusing them of lying when they make
> that subscription.
>
> 	-mib

First off, let me state that I don't think this is the place to discuss
these matters, and that I wish not to start a holy war of sorts. However,
as a concerned layman of the ELCA, I must respond to this. Mr. Schaper's
*arian* and *deist* description is perhaps polemical. And it is true that the
aforementioned churches do *subscribe* to the ecumenical creeds in letter.
However, Mr Bushnell, I think it is clear that the churches mentioned
here (and a host of others) are suffering a crisis unparalled since the
Reformation. The creeds - as historically understood without revisionist
interpretations - are, and have been for some time, under severe
criticism. "On the third day He rose again" is especially challenged in
the mainline seminaries. God the Father? Challenged as well - I worked at
an ELCA summer camp where calling God the Father was grounds for a stern
lecture on inclusiveness.  "Who was conceived by the power of the Holy
Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary" - anyone with one eye on theology knows
that many pastors in our mainline churches do not believe this tenet. And
the atonement? "I don't think we need folks hanging on crosses and blood
and all that weird stuff." - from an address at the Re-imagining
conference in Minneapolis about a year back. The PCUSA, if I recall
correctly, put up roughly $60,000+ for this event. The ELCA and the other
churches who supposedly *subscribe* to the creeds put up additional
funding. I think it makes no difference if somewhere in a church's
confessional statements it claims to adhere to the creeds. We have a case
where the spirit, if even the token claim to the letter, of the creeds is
not being followed, and I think that is what Mr. Schaper is trying to say.

					Leroy Huizenga '96
					Jamestown College
					North Dakota
					huizenga@acc.jc.edu

------------------------------

   First off, let me state that I don't think this is the place to
   discuss these matters, and that I wish not to start a holy war of
   sorts. However, as a concerned layman of the ELCA, I must respond
   to this. Mr. Schaper's *arian* and *deist* description is perhaps
   polemical. And it is true that the aforementioned churches do
   *subscribe* to the ecumenical creeds in letter.  However, Mr
   Bushnell, I think it is clear that the churches mentioned here (and
   a host of others) are suffering a crisis unparalled since the
   Reformation.

The crisis is, I think, over.  The crisis happened a hundred years
ago.  Those who were liberals then have nearly all left the church.

I was tempted to write more than this, in defense, but I'll try to
stay on topic for the list rather than continue  the ecclesiastical
discussion Mr Schaper began.  Suffice it to say that I believe Mr
Huizenga's characterizations to be equally false (though not of the
same order as Mr Schaper's accusations).

My protest is germane to this list: it is that accusing people of
dishonesty should not be part of scholarly discussion, except as a
last resort against intransigence.  And even then, such an
accusation's effect is to end dialogue.

So Mr Schaper should, please, refrain from using loaded words against
huge numbers of people.  Otherwise this list will quickly degenerate.
Need I point out, for example, that the "orthodox" churches Mr Schaper
so lauds are all full of racist bigoted homophobes?  Whoops.  See?
It's so easy to do, we can all play at this silly game.  Let's not
play at all.

	-mib

------------------------------

do this without meat axes?  We disagree, deeply, even.  That is what makes
this listserv interesting.  We disagree vigorously: so much the better.
Flames, however, are wearisome.

------------------------------

Warning:  this post is NOT about Greek, ut is a reply to a tangential post.
Don't read it if that's a problem for you!

>    From: STEVE SCHAPER <STEVE.SCHAPER@1-100-435-0.cheswicks.toadnet.org>
>    Date: 02 Jan 95 23:13:00 +0000
>
>    What I meant by it was holding to the ecumenical creeds. I prefer
>    this term to the perjorative 'fundamentalist' which is inaccurate
>    and confusing anyway since there are the separatists, the
>    evangelicals, the Reformed and Lutherans, and charismatic groups
>    who hold in essence to these creeds. These are thereby
>    distinguished from the Deist and Arian groups commonly known as the
>    'main- line' denominations. See Machen's _Christianity and
>    Liberalism_. The orthodox Protestants thus have considerably more
>    in common with the Roman Catholics and the Eastern Orthodox than
>    they do the 'main-line' variants of their own traditions.
>
> I'd appreciate it if you didn't "explain" your terms by accusing vast
> number of people of rank dishonesty.  The Presbyterian Church (USA),
> the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, the Episcopal Church in
> the USA, the United Methodist Church--these *all* subscribe to the
> ecumenical creeds.  And you are accusing them of lying when they make
> that subscription.
>
> 	-mib

    Please explain to me how a UM or PCUSA representative can preach
 process theology and still honestly claim to believe the ecumenical creeds.
Anyone who does this is self-deluded and I've heard enough both in
seminary and in a few churches I've visited.  I went to a Sunday morning
service at a UMC church where there was a baptism taking place.  The
"minister" baptised the individual in the name of cosmic love or some
such tripe.  That is NOT holding to the creed.  I don't think I'd define
the minister's position as Deist, any more than I'd call John Hick a Deist.
It's more of a cosmic jello deity belief.  Whatever it is, we can't know
it and we can't affirm much of anything about it.  That's completely
irreconcilable with the creeds, unless you do a Humpty-Dumpty number on
the language of the creeds, but what's the point of that?  I spent
some time attending a Methodist seminary, so don't tell me I don't
know what I'm talking about (Drew, to be precise).

Ken Litwak
Emeryville, CA