From: David Last <D.Last@mmu.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 14:03:50 GMT
Subject: Re: Which law(s)?

Commenting on a small part of Carl Conrad's Email (5th Jan):

> I think that the passage must be understood in the first place in its
> context within the Sermon on the Mount and the gospel of Matthew, which
> is to say, in the context of what may rather inadequately be termed, for
> want of something better, Jewish Christianity or Christian Pharisaism. As
> I read the context of this passage, it seems to me that as a whole it
> urges the proposition that fulfilling the law is a matter of carrying out
> God's will fully, and the antitheses pretty clearly indicate that the
> legal prescriptions of the Torah are an inadequate expression of the
> whole of God's will. I don't think that this context involves abrogation
> of the Torah at all, but rather it urges an endeavor to go beyond its
> letter to understanding its spirit and intention: to "hunger and thirst
> after righteousness" and to "be perfect as your heavenly Father is
> perfect."

Within the structure of Matthew, I wonder whether it would be better to
say the context is that of the dawning Kingdom of Heaven.  Jesus is
proclaiming the arrival of the kingdom.  And at the start of ch 5 he
spells out some of its implications, by firstly identifying particular
groups of people: these are the 'blessed' people, for whom the
incoming kingdom will mean great benefit.

Now these people have been living under the Law and Prophets, yet they
have found themselves left "poor in spirit" etc.  Well the kingdom of
heaven is for such people and will meet their needs.  However, just
because the kingdom does provide in a way the Law and Prophets never
did, that does not mean the end of the Law and the Prophets.  Rather,
within the kingdom a whole new understanding of the Law and Prophets is
possible and as such a far higher standard of righteousness is both
expected and achievable -  a righteousness which goes beyond even
Pharasaic standards.

All of that leaves very many questions, so I hope this thread will
continue since like Carl Conrad:
> ... I'd like to hear (read) others' views.

David Last