From: W.Burton@agora.stm.it
Date: Thu,  9 Mar 95 18:12:19 GMT
Subject: Q: Reality or Fantasy

One thing I believe is missing (besides a little courtesy) in this rather

heated discussion about
historicity, textual validity and inspiration, is the notion of canonicity.

When I get caught up in crossing my eyes over the _apparatus criticus_ of
NA 27 or when I get
confused about source criticisms of a particular text (I'm presently
struggling with sources for Lk
11:47-51) I step back and recall that the text that is the object of my
study WAS/IS itself  SUBJECT
to a community of believers.  Isn't this also true for the Hebrew
scriptures?

Who decided that this text and not that one would be part of the collection
we call _scripture?_
Why are these psalms and not other psalms which we know existed and were
prayed during the first
century BCE included in the Kethuvim?  Who decided the Gospel of Thomas was
NOT to be part of
the scripture?  Who said a letter of Clement didn't warrant inclusion into
the corpus of other letters
we find in the NT?  These decisions were made by a community of the
faithful; living people;
historical characters of the past.

For me it is an aspect of divine inspiration that God worked THROUGH this
COMMUNITY of
believers.  For many this will seem an attack on the inerrancy of the word
of God; for others it may
seem beside the point but it is a fact; historical, philosophical, lexical
and otherwise that the TEXT
is/was SUBJECT to the community.   Long before there was a New Testament
there was  group of
believers.

For what it's worth.
Bill Burton