From: Nichael Lynn Cramer <nichael@sover.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 19:55:48 -0500
Subject: Re: 1 Cor 11, exousia, and "veils"(?)

Edward Hobbs wrote:
>A note on the "balcony" for women, so-called, in synagogues:
>Bernadette Brooten's work, about 15 years ago, blew this imaginary
>piece of architecture back into fantasyland, whence it came.

More specifically:

   Bernadette J. Brooten, _Women Leaders in the Ancient Synagogue:
   Inscriptional Evidence and Background Issues_ (Brown Judaic
   Studies 36; Chico, Calif.: Scholars Press, 1982)

>(She moved, a year or so ago, from the faculty at Harvard to Brandeis,
>where she holds the chair Krister Stendahl graced for a few years
>after retiring from Stockholm.)

Nichael                               -- Pull down,
nichael@sover.net                          Tear up...
Paradise Farm
Brattleboro VT