From: Larry Swain <lswain@wln.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 1995 22:27:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Revelation and the Canon ...

On Fri, 7 Apr 1995 Timster132@aol.com wrote:

>    Actually, I am very familiar with the textual evidence (that is, the mss)
> for gospel titles and the dates for these, especially the lengthy
> ascriptions, which aren't very early.  As for literary evidence, it has been
> shown that traditions the church fathers recount are not always reliable.
>  (Eusebius was far from inerrant).

     A)  OK, fair enough, if you are referring to the Anti-Marcionite
prologues and the Montanist Prologues, yes they are late.  I am merely
speaking of the ascription of the various gospel writings by the formula
"EUAGGELION KATA..." which taking into account textual, literary
attestations, the current practices of the writers at the time, the fact
that all the earliest texts mention readings in the gathering of the
Christians (which is not to say that these readings were exclusively from
the four, so please don't accuse me of it)which necessitates
differentiation among the various texts, the fact that the earliest
heterodox titles follow the same pattern,  in conjunction with community
libraries and chests which would also necessitate differentiation among
the various works, and the surprising unanimity of all texts and all
mentions in both Great Church and heterodox traditions.  All of this
together leads one to conclude that the titles are first century in
origin-as many scholars on the subject of canon have concluded, myself
included in my own dissertation on the subject.  If the end of the first
century is late to you, well then we hav a problem of definitions.

B) As for the accuracy of the patristic authors, your logic seems to run,
a)they have been proven to be wrong in some instances therefore b) they
are wrong in this one.  And this then addresses the very issue that Ken
raised.   If you cannot provide evidence which disproves what the
patristics say regarding such and such a thing, then perhaps rather than
invent conclusions, we should entertain the idea that qualifiedly they
may be reporting fact.  This is an instance by instance methodology
exercised with caution, study, learning, and discussion with one's
fellows in the field.

>      Although you disagree, I feel in this case the weight of concurrent
> literary practice and that of late mss evidence/patristic traditions are
> about the same.  But after all is said and done it is still conjecture, not so
> mething which has been proved.

I would be interested in a little specificity here.  What "concurrent
literary practice"?

>      That John the Revelator and John the Gospel writer weren't the same
> person is generally agreed today by critical scholars.

No kidding.  But we weren't discussing our conclusions, we were
discussing what the ancient patristic writers made of them.

> that.  It was as Montanism grew into the next couple centuries that their
> opponents felt they had to question the apostolic authorship.  Why would they
> have to question it if it wasn't already assumed?  So, my conjecture that
> John the Revalator was identified with John the Apostle by the church (as was
> done with other books) isn't so anti-historical.

But that is not what your conjecture was to which I originally objected.
You stated that the apostlicity of the John who wrote the APocalypse was
invented to lend the document canonical authority.  My reply is simply
that there are traditions which h ascribe the  Apocalypse to John the
Apostle from the early part of the second century, and there are also
traditions which ascribe it to John the Elder, and as time goes on the
tradition regarding John the Apostle wins out.  There was no invention in
this case, unless the invention was a very early one within the first
generation after the document's origin.  That is amazingly early and
quick to get it "invented".

>       You seem to think that Eusebius recalling that there was an earlier
> tradition is "real support".  No further comment is needed I believe.

Well, you know, I would rather take Eusebius' reportage than your opinion
Tim-I think the former, while not bedrock, is a whole lot more reliable.
Although I wonder where you get this idea that I take Eusebius' word for
everything:  It was Rev Raines who mentioned him, whom you might take a
few cues from:  he has raised several good points and provided proof for
his statements.

  About
> apostolicity, I said that it was secondary perhaps, but I never said it
> wasn't a factor.  I believe it certainly played a part.

On this we are in agreement, although I would point out that it is a
change on your part:  you did state that apostlicity was invented in
instances such as Hebrews, Revelation to get these accepted into the
canon.

Larry Swain