[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

b-greek-digest V1 #695

b-greek-digest               Friday, 5 May 1995         Volume 01 : Number 695

In this issue:

        Learning Greek "Solo"
        Re: Jesus' death
        Re: Contra NIV
        Re: Translations
        Re: Translations
        He or It (fwd)
        Re: Learning Greek "Solo"
        historical present
        Re: Translations
        Re: historical present
        Re: Translations (fwd)
        Re: Translations
        Re: historical present
        Re: Learning Greek "Solo"
        Gender [was Translations]
        Re: Translations
        Re: Translations sexist terms
        Secret Mark, Neusner, Smith, etc.
        Interpreting Manuscripts Web
        Re: Mark 6:1-6

From: Timster132@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 03:23:47 -0400
Subject: Learning Greek "Solo"

TO: B-GREEK@VIRGINIA.EDU

    ab392@rgfn.epcc.edu asked...

    Edgar Krentz, emkrentz@mcs.com, replied....
>No, these books do not teach New Testament Greek. They
>give help to a student who has completed a basic Greek
>course and wants to increase his vocabulary stock in
>New Testament Greek. You can best learn Greek by
>registering for a course at a college, university, or seminary.

   I agree, learning Greek is best done in a group, and it is very important
to have a teacher who can help you learn fundamentals,
to help you avoid major mistakes in pronounciation (esp. dipthongs),
understanding grammar (e.g. functions of the genitive), etc.  And there are
those questions that come up that an experienced Greek Prof will be able to
answer where someone working one his or her own could not.   And you will
learn 10 times faster with a teacher than by yourself.

   I did notice in the latest CBD catalog, _Introduction to NT Greek VIDEO
Series_ that has six lessons by a professor on video tape.  It comes with a
grammar and flashcards.  CBD price is $150.  I have NOT seen it (...has
anyone on the List seen this?), so this isn't a recommendation, just an
observation of what's available and maybe worth checking into IF you cannot
find a Greek teacher.  INHO, tho, you'd be getting a better deal even if you
spent twice as much on a Greek course at a seminar.

Tim Staker