From: Timster132@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 May 1995 01:41:40 -0400
Subject: Re: Translations/Inclusivity

To: WINBROW@aol.com
cc: b-greek@virginia.edu

   Carlton Winbery said on Sat 5/6/95...
>Perhaps there may be a few more places where
>the NRSV could improve even more in inclusive
>language.  Matt. 7:24-26 perhaps could read
>that a person who builds upon the rock is a wise
>person (not man) or the one who builds on the
>sand a foolish person.

If you look at the Greek, it says ANDRI PHRONIMW and
ANDRI MWRW, which can only be translated as a male.
It is not ANQROPOS in this instance.

No doubt this verse could be and should be applied
hermeneuticallty to men and women, even though the
wise and foolish people in the text are male.

And, yes, Carton, I too have been watching with disbelief
at the folks at Louisville (which is only 1 1/2 hr from me).
At the same time I heard that a recent Baptist preaching
contest had three women who won the top awards.
As Bob Dylan used to sing,  Oh, the times they are
a-changin'.

Peace,
Tim Staker