From: Carl W Conrad <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 May 1995 06:05:23 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: flowers or ANAQEMA?

Shaughn:

+ Anthologia Graeca, Anthologia Graeca, Book 2, epigram 1, line 13:
Kekropivdh" d=E6 h[strapte, nohvmono" a[nqema Peiqou'",
Aijscivnh", lasivh" de; suneivrue kuvkla pareih'",
15 oi|a polutrocavloisin ajeqleuvwn ajgorh'/sin:
- - this one throws me for a loop--intelligent flowers of the greek=20
goddess Pathos?

+ Anthologia Graeca, Anthologia Graeca, Book 6, epigram 47, line 2
ANTIPATROU =AASIDWNIOU=BA
1
Kerkivda th;n filaoido;n =90Aqhnaivh/ qevto Bittw;
   a[nqema, limhrh'" a[rmenon ejrgasivh",
ei\pe dev: =C6Cai're, qeav, kai; thvnd=E6 e[ce: chvrh ejgw; ga;r
   tevssara" eij" ejtevwn ejrcomevnh dekavda"
5
ajrneu'mai ta; sa; dw'ra, ta; d=E6 e[mpali Kuvprido" e[rgwn
   a{ptomai: w{rh" ga;r krei'sson oJrw' to; qevlein.=C6
- - what/who is Kerkida? what is bittw?

You missed (in the lexicon) the one word that does apply in both of
these bits of verse: ANAQEMA, gen. ANAQEMATOS, "offering," esp. in
fulfilment of a vow to a deity: something deposited in a shrine to
fulfill a promise for services rendered by the deity. The first is an
offering, it would appear, of a beard(!) by a young man who has won a
rhetorical contest; NOHMONOS ANQEMA PEIQOUS is here an "offering to
knowing Persuasion" (not Pathos, but Peitho, who in erotic guise as
one of the companions of Aphrodite, is Seduction, but in the
rhetorical sphere is the divine power of persuasive speech. The second
is an offering by a widow named BITTW of her "melodious loom-shuttle"
(KERKIS, gen. KERKIDOS) to Athena, who oversees, among other things,
the woman's craft of weaving. Now that she is forty years old and a
widow, she says, she has no more use for Athena's craft and prefers
"the works of Kupris" (Aphrodite). This is a playful sort of poem
written by the thousands in Hellenistic times like the sonnets of
Elizabethans on imaginary themes. In this instance, Bitto is finally
free from marriage and domestic duties and thinks it's time for love.

(314) 935-4018