[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

b-greek-digest V1 #737

b-greek-digest              Monday, 5 June 1995        Volume 01 : Number 737

In this issue:

        Re: Ending of Mark
        Re: Mark 16:8
        Re: Mark and Midrash
        Re: Ending of Mark
        PUGILLARIA, (was  Ending of Mark)
        Re: Mark 16:8
        Text and Source Criticism
        Re: Ph.D. Programs in Textual Criticism
        Re: Mark 16:8
        Re: Text and Source Criticism
        Re: Mark and Midrash
        Re: Ending of Mark
        Re: Oh Sweet Potato of Life
        Re: Ending of Mark
        Re: Mark 16:8 (and Mark 1:1)
        Re: Mark 16:8
        Re: Ending of Mark
        Re: Mark 16:8
        unsubscribe
        Re: Mark 16:8
        Re: Ending of Mark

From: Larry Swain <lswain@wln.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 1995 23:44:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Ending of Mark

On Sat, 3 Jun 1995, Carl W Conrad wrote:

> The highly ironic thing about all this to me is the way our biases play
> into what we consider REALLY ponderable. I'm not really looking for an
> alternative to a Mark that begins at 1:1 and ends at 16:8; I'm satisfied
> that the MSS evidence PROBABLY gives us the authentic text. On the other
> hand, I find the Q hypothesis attractive and VERY ponderable. You and
> others, Larry, make it quite clear that you don't think so (and I really
> don't think anything's to be gained by repeating that thread). My feeling
> is that it's not altogether satisfactory but it explains more to me than
> it leaves unexplained.

I almost completely agree with you.  I just have not found an entirely
satisfactory way of explaining the abrupt beginning and ending, but I
don't make much of the point.

> But, at any rate, I do agree that the codex form must begin somewhere
> with someone taking a decisive step. I just wonder how likely it is that
> gospel texts would be copied to papyrus AFTER and FROM a version written
> in codex form. And I admit, I just don't know enough about book
> production to hazard an opinion worth recording. Guess I'd better shut up!

Always possible especially within the first century if codices existed
but weren't that popular yet.  THe thing to explain in that case though
is all the copies of the gospel were in codex form, all lost their first
and last leaves, and then were copied to papyrus??  That seems a stretch
to me, unless we posit that the original autograph was the one which lost
its leaves.  SO while an intriguing suggestion and within the realms of
historical probability, I think the odds are stacked against it.

Larry Swain
lswain@wln.com