From: Greg Doudna <gdoudna@ednet1.osl.or.gov>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 1995 22:35:48 -0700
Subject: Re: Porneia

Stephen Carlson wrote:
> > Can <porneia> include, say, sex between people engaged to
> > be married?
> What about Jn8:41, hHMEIS EK PORNEIAS OU GEGENNHMEQA ("we
> are not born out of PORNEIA"), with the inference they may
> have been referring to the circumstances of the Virgin
> Birth?

I don't think there is any evidence at all that would show a
Jewish condemnation of a child born to parents who conceived
that child when they were betrothed, or that such a conception
would remotely fit within the semantic domain of "porneia" or
any semitic equivalent.  The accusation concerning Jesus's birth
did not involve Mary's betrothed husband, Joseph, but rather
an accusation of adultery, i.e. that Mary had committed
adultery with (perhaps a carpenter?) other than her
betrothed husband.

It should also be asked how much of an issue premarital
sex would have been (for women) in a society in which girls
were usually betrothed and married by age 13.  Ruth, the
heroine of the biblical book by that name, may have been
a little older.  But there, premarital sex (i.e. coming to
Boaz's bed and "feet" at night) seems to have been
regarded as an honorable way to catch a husband.

Greg Doudna
West Linn, Oregon

- --