From: Kenneth Litwak <kenneth@sybase.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 95 22:19:17 PDT
Subject: Re: Mark and Midrash

  I want to make a couple of points about the Timster's notion of midrash.
First, I would ask how one distingushes between a text about Jesus whose
author wanted to convey historical information AND show ways in which he/she
felt Jesus' life fulfilled OT predictions and one which uses OT material to
invent a story that may or not have historical elements in it?  He sems to
suggest that ht presence of material reflecting OT passages suggests
narrative midrash.  I would ask, using my own experience, does the fact taht
my wife and I often quote lines from Star Wars mean that we are
doing a midrash on Geroge Lucas's material?  Hardly.  I would be very
very surprised to see a Jew talking about religious matters and NOT
use language reflecting OT material.  That would be truly odd, so it's
presence in the text need mean little more than that its author was a Jew.
Claiming it is all narrative midrash may be true, but it hasn't been
demonstrated by Tim, and he hasn't, so far as I can see, offered any basis to
tell the difference between the two possibilities above.  He seems determined NOT
NOT to allow for the alternative that allows the Gospels to contain
theologically shaded historical narrative with OT citations because
their authors felt Jesus was the Messiah and read the OT in that light.
I don't see a basis for this.  Furthermore, I think Tim's position is
inconsistent.  On the one hand, he wants to say that the literal view,
that the authors actually want to record a real event, s inappropriate,
but still seems to want to claim that some of the events, perhaps the
crucifixion, really happened in some sense.  That seems like a pretty
blatant example of wanting to have you cake and eat it too.  If it's
narrative midrash as Tim suggests, then all bets are off, and it may
just as easily be considered worthless for showing anything but the'
author's OT  hermenetical skills.  To claim more would go beyond the
notion of narrative midrash Tim has argued for.  It sounds like a
method without controls.  Everyone's ideas about the extent of
the midrash and its significance count equally.

Ken Litwak
Emeryville, CA